How Designed is Your Curriculum?
Thursday 6th June 2019, 9.15am – 3.30pm
Aimed at KS1 & KS2 Teachers and Leaders.
• How does your curriculum reflect the culture, climate and values of your school?
• How have you decided on the breadth of experiences you provide?
• Is the breadth of experiences suitable enough to promote social mobility?
• Does the breadth interweave coherently SMSC, including British values with academic studies rather than tagging them on?
• How is personal development defined and planned?
• How do you balance the drive for high standards with a full spectrum curriculum that emphasises high standards in both core and foundation subjects?
• How does the curriculum provide for physical and mental wellbeing?
• How do you manage to teach a full curriculum rather than focusing on national assessment criteria alone?
• Which innovations have you pioneered in designing your curriculum?
• How do you track pupils’ achievements in all subjects?
• What is the role of subject or other leaders in ensuring curriculum coverage, progression and improvements?
Why is this course relevant or important?
• From September Ofsted will be asking schools to provide a detailed explanation of how their curriculum is designed and why it is designed as it is. This is in response to the narrowing in some schools of the curriculum over recent years due to the pressure to raise standards in core subjects. They are now interested in all aspects of the curriculum.
• It is important that schools have a clear understanding of its curriculum’s design that goes beyond a generic description such as ‘creative’ or ‘skills based’.
This course will advance your understanding of:
• How to articulate the design of your curriculum.
• How to evaluate the effectiveness of your curriculum in terms of both academic and personal development outcomes for pupils.
• How to ensure your curriculum is bespoke to your school.
Take away from the course:
• A curriculum evaluation framework.
• A curriculum ‘design’ example policy.
• A framework for the role of subject, middle or phase leaders in evaluating the curriculum.
• Lots of practical ideas to help ensure your curriculum design says: “Welcome to our school.”
• An in-depth understanding of how inspectors will judge curriculum design from September 2017.
Cost: £125 per delegate.
Refreshments, including a buffet lunch, will be provided.
To book please contact Richard Hunter on: